July is the most popular vacation month and for many people it brings up the question of office etiquette and checking email while on holiday. Surveys report back that more than half of all employees check their work email while on vacation, so if you feel obligated to pop in and read about what is going on in the office while you are away, you are not alone. It’s also important to allow yourself downtime away from the work hustle and bustle.
Clearly there are two schools of thought on whether or not you should be checking email while on vacation. Some folks feel that vacation is vacation and they easily avoid hopping on a PC to check out what’s going on back at the base. Others may struggle with this decision, preferring to stay abreast of office happenings, while keeping their inbox from overflowing. So here are a few handy tips to keep in mind as you close up shop and head, “Out Of the Office”.
1. Know your employers expectations. Typically supervisors, directors, vice presidents and above may have more of an obligation to check in than a low level staffer. Clearing up what is expected of you before going on vacation sets defined boundaries.
2. Activate an “Out of the Office” automatic reply. This will alert people to the fact that you are away from the office so that they are not expecting a speedy reply.
3. Schedule email checks. Pick a time that works for you, check your email and then give yourself the rest of the day off.
4. Practice inbox maintenance. Delete the junk and clutter. Answer emails that need immediate replies but save the rest for when you return.
5. Don’t feel guilty! Everyone deserves a vacation so enjoy yours!
When you get back to the office, remember to turn off your away message! Also keep in mind that if you ever find yourself in a position where your Outlook email files, contacts or calendars get damaged or go missing, Stellar Outlook PST Repair software offers a quick and cost effective solution to file recovery. Enjoy a stress free vacation knowing that Stellar wide range of software solutions has got your back.