Repair and recover your Outlook PST files!
What is a Personal Storage Table (.pst)?
MS Outlook uses an Outlook data file, which is known as PST (Personal Storage Table) to store messages and other mailbox information. There are two formats of .pst files (ANSI PST and Unicode PST). Outlook 2002 and earlier use ANSI as encoding for the PST. This format has a maximum size of 2 GB and does not support Unicode. A files exceeding this size is likely to give errors or become corrupted.
Outlook 2003 and onward uses Unicode and they can store data up to 20 GB. MS Outlook 2010 can store up to 50 GB. A PST file can easily exceed its size-limit by receiving unlimited emails along with heavy attachments. An oversized PST file can cause various problems, such as poor performance of MS Outlook, the oversized file is usually corrupted, Outlook application can shut down while trying to open an oversized PST file etc. The main reason of Outlook’s abnormal behaviour is an oversized PST file.
How can hardware problems corrupt a PST file?
There are three types of hardware issues which can corrupt or damage your PST files:
– Data Storage Device Failure. In case your hard disk has some bad sectors and these particular files are stored on this disk. You will probably be able to read only part of this data or your information will be incomplete and/or full of errors.
– Faulty Networking Device. If the Outlook PST files are stored on the Network server and you try to access it via network links from a client computer. If any of the devices constituting the network (e.g. network interface cards, cables, routers, hubs etc.) link have problems, then the remote access to the PST file may make it corrupted.
– Power failure. If a power failure occurs when you are accessing a PST file, that may leave this file damaged.
There are various techniques to avoid or minimize the PST file corruption due to hardware issues, for example, UPS can minimize the power failure problems, and using reliable hardware devices can also reduce the chances of data corruption.
– Incorrect file system recovery. A file system recovery may cause PST file corruptions when your file system is broken. If you try to use a data recovery tool or an expert to restore the files on it, they may still appear corrupted, due to the following reasons:
- Due to the file system disaster, some parts of the original file may have been lost permanently, or overwritten by garbage data, which makes the final PST file incomplete or contain incorrect data.
- Not enough expertise by a recovery tool or expert may have collected only incomplete or incorrect PST files. Not containing the valid data makes them totally useless.
- *Using bad/untrusted tools/experts will make the situation worse instead of better, so if you decide to do that, be careful with the choice of products and experts.
– Virus or other Malicious Software. Many viruses can infect your Outlook PST files and make them inaccessible. In order to avoid that, make sure that you install quality anti-virus product to protect your email system.
One of the most unpleasant forms of malware now is the ‘HowDecrypt’ virus that converts your files. It attacks your computer and seriously limits or totally disables its functions by encrypting your files. It will attempt to export money from you by offering a quick and guaranteed solution.
Usually ransomware messages are incredibly realistic looking and are designed to cause alarm and panic as possible – hence the term scareware. Keep in mind that all of these viruses will try to convince you to pay a certain amount in regards to resolve your issue.
– Terminate Outlook Abnormally. If Outlook is shut down abnormally when you are accessing or opening the PST file, then the file is prone to corrupted or damaged. This can happen if a power failure occurs, if you terminate it through the ‘Windows Task Manager’ or if you turn off your computer without quitting Outlook and Windows normally.
– Deficiencies in Outlook programs. As we previously mentioned the early versions of Outlook has a maximum size of PST files up to 2 GB, then they enlarged it to 20 and the latest one is with 50 GB. Nowadays this limit can be reached very easily, which makes the possibility of corrupted PST files even higher.
Specific Outlook PST File Errors
Below you can find a list of errors and problems with Microsoft Outlook PST files:
- The file xxxx.pst is not a personal folders file.
- Errors have been detected in the file xxxx.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help.
- Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- The file xxxx.pst could not be found.
- Unable to display the folder. The file xxxx.pst could not be accessed.
- xxxx.pst cannot be accessed – 0x80040116.
- File xxxx.pst could not be accessed. Data error. Cyclic redundancy check.
More questions asked by our customers:
Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair supports MS Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010 and
The Demo version of Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair allows you to preview all the recoverable items after the scanning. If you are satisfied with the result, you can purchase the full version of the software to save the recovered file.
3. What are the file formats supported by Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair to save the repaired emails?
In Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair software you can choose to save the repaired emails in various file formats according to your requirement, such as .PST, .MSG, .EML, .RTF, .HTML and .PDF file formats.
You can register Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair using the below methods:
• Online Registration – After purchasing the software, a serial number will be sent to you via email, which is required to register the software. You need to enter the serial number, which is then verified by a license server and on verification, the software is registered.
We recommend you to make sure that you are logged in as a local administrator on the computer in which you are using the software. Also, please make sure that MS Outlook is installed on this computer and it is configured.
If the above parameters are followed and still you are facing this issue then kindly follow the below process to register the DLL file:
1. Go to Run.
2. Type Regsvr32 (Don’t press enter).
3. Go to “C:\Program Files\Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair\” folder then Drag and drop the PhoneixDll.dll file to the Run Window, its path will be visible in the Run Window.
4. Now click on ‘Ok’.
5. You will finally get a message saying “Dll Registered successfully”.
Now run the application to proceed.
Steps to import the repaired PST file in Microsoft Outlook:
1. Open your Windows “Control Panel”.
2. Double click on “Mail”. Now, click on ‘Data Files’.
3. Please add the recovered PST by clicking on ‘Add’ and add the recovered PST file.
4. If you are able to see the recovered PST file listed, kindly select that file and click on ‘Set as default’.
5. Now close everything and open your Outlook.
Yes, Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair allows you to recover specific emails in various file formats according to your requirement, such as .MSG, .EML, .RTF, .HTML and .PDF. You can perform these tasks from the preview window.
Please ensure that Outlook is installed on the same machine where you are performing the repair. Also, Outlook should be properly configured and should be in working condition.
The software will export all the content in a new PST file and will not make any changes to the existing PST file.
No, the application will only repair the PST file and will not configure the email account